Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Diploma (120Credits) in Applied
Minimum of grade C's GCSE in Science and Additional
Science would be ideal OR Pass Grade at BTEC Science
Level 2. Students with only Science GCSE would need to
discuss their suitability with the college. A minimum of
grade C in Mathematics and English would be
The course consists of two parts
Year 12, six mandatory units.
Year 13, six optional units.
The course is broadly equivalent to two GCE A-Levels.
There are no examinations. Students compile a portfolio of
evidence as they progress.
Work is assessed on a Pass/Merit/Distinction basis
After the Course
This course has a work related focus in various scientific
industries and prepares students for employment in an
appropriate vocational sector.
6 Compulsory Units:
• Fundamentals of science.
• Working in the science industry.
• Scientific investigations.
• Scientific practical techniques.
• Perceptions of science.
• Using mathematical tools in science.
6 Optional Units:
Examples of these are;
• Physiology of human body systems.
• Practical chemical analysis.
• Electrical circuits and their industrial applications.
• Microbiological techniques.